Speed Manipulation

(28/10/2020 19:43:45 отредактировано Fernando Brochetto)

Тема: Speed Manipulation

Hello,
We often have troubles when the subject is speed.

Problem:
As the equipments get the speed by GPS, it happens sometimes that the speed sent to Wialon is incorrect, you can see for example in the screenshot the difference between the speed by GPS and CANBUS. As you can see in the example, the tracker have 10 sats, so there is no option that a filter could ignore this messages, and as this is very frequently in large scale, there is no way to be deleting every message with error. If I'm not wrong, I've already saw other partners asking for this feature and other partners that asked for a new unit of speed:

https://forum.gurtam.com/viewtopic.php?id=15381

Solution:
I think that two things could be done:
1 - Create speed sensors;
2 - Create an algorithm similar to the fuel smoothing (I don't really know if this funcion would work fine).

Users:
With the speed sensores, would be able to use the CANBUS speed, the most reliable data and also could manipulate parameters to smooth speed parameters, for example using aritmetic average: (speed + #speed)/const2, or even relate speed to motion status (very often the vehicle is parked but GPS give some speed around 1-10 km/h).
Also, they would be able to convert speed in any unit required.

• Speed Manipulation
Fernando Brochetto
Technical Support, Rastreasul

fernando@rastreasul.com.br

Speed Manipulation

Re: Speed Manipulation

Hello Fernando  Fernando Brochetto!

First of all, I apologise for this long delay in response.
It took some time to analyse the task and search for similar requests. Indeed, you are right, there were enough requests to use the speed received from the canbus. And it's strange to see that nobody has supported you in more than a month on the forum.

What kind of implementation option we see now.
Your proposal to have a separate type of sensor with its own parameter seems to be the most optimal at the moment. But there is a nuance here: the sensor will not be used for all speeds, but specifically for the speed from the canbus. In other words, in order to receive and use the speed from the canbus, rather than the GPS speed, you will need to create a sensor with the conditional name 'Speed Adjustment', specify a parameter in which we will receive the required speed value (if necessary, perform any transformations of the parameter in the sensor) and activate its operation. What will happen next?
We propose this mechanism:
1) after the next message arrives, we will analyse the presence of the sensor described above at the unit and whether it is activated or not;
2) if the sensor is activated, we will replace the GPS speed value when registering the message with the value obtained in the parameter, i.e. from the canbus.
3) the system will continue to function as it does now, i.e. no additional settings for reports, notifications, etc. will be required.
Restrictions:
1) will work for position messages (when we receive coordinates)
2) the values must be valid.

I have described to you the simplest and most painless implementation option. What do you think about this? Do you have any additional questions or clarifications? 

I will add the task to the list of suggestions for product development. In any case, we will conduct an in-depth needs analysis and think about how we can make implementation more optimal and convenient for our partners. Therefore, your questions, comments and suggestions will be very useful to us.

К сожалению, у вас не достаточно прав для просмотра данного текста

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Wialon

Speed Manipulation

Hello mana, thank you for the answer!
Yes, that's perfect, the presence of the sensor only when needed is even better, generally our clients don't care much about irregularities, but we have customers who are very restricted.

Fernando Brochetto

Speed Manipulation

I vote for the above feature. It must be included in the Wialon Hosting.

Speed Manipulation

Hello mana, how are you?
Do we have any news on this?
We are having more units with CAN bus and speed from CAN can be very usefull.

2) if the sensor is activated, we will replace the GPS speed value when registering the message with the value obtained in the parameter, i.e. from the canbus.
3) the system will continue to function as it does now, i.e. no additional settings for reports, notifications, etc. will be required.

I just think that the platform could just ignore speeds from GPS if the client wants, when there is no speed from CAN.

Fernando Brochetto

Speed Manipulation

Fernando Brochetto,
no news yet.
The task was not included in the plans for the third quarter. Further plans have not yet been agreed upon, but we keep this task in mind and implement it as soon as possible.

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Wialon

Speed Manipulation

Hi Mana,
I was reading this post today. I have a scenario here with regards to the incorrect gps speed value and I think the solution that is being discussed here might solve my problem as well.

My customer is using an OBD device which is capable to provide OEM data (fuel level, real odometer value and real wheel based speed) directly from the vehicle. Yesterday I had a situation where there was a fuel filling done in the vehicle but the same did not get recorded in the reports under Fuel fillings table. The reason was -  In the fuel level sensor settings, we have the option selected as "Detect fuel filling only while stopped". It appears that during the time of filling, due to the tracker and gps issue, the unit was continuously giving some false speed based on data received from gps. But in actuality, the vehicle was parked at the time of filling. This is evident from the value of the custom sensor "Wheel based vehicle speed" which is correctly shown as "0" during the time of filling. Please see attached screenshots.

Here to resolve the problem without removing the option "Detect fuel filling only while stopped", I have to increase the "Min moving speed" on the Trip detector tab which is not a very good thing to do OR

The problem might also be resolved if we have an option to make the system to consider the real speed based on OBD sensor value instead of gps speed. Kindly let me know your thoughts.

• Speed Manipulation
  • Speed Manipulation

Speed Manipulation

Hello vkjain,
Exactly, if we could for example validate the speed sensor with a motion sensor, your case could be solved as well, even without CAN bus speed data.

Fernando Brochetto

Speed Manipulation

Hello vkjain,
thanks for your case and attached screenshots - it helps me to better understand the tasks that we have to solve in the development process.
I think your example will be completely covered by the solution I suggested above. Also since we want to create a new type of sensor, then validation will be available for it, as well as for other sensors, if it is necessary.

This year we will definitely not have time to solve the task, because development is quite labor-intensive, and the proposed list of tasks has already been determined by the end of the year, but we will definitely be engaged in its implementation since it is a high priority for us and is needed by a large number of our partners.

I will keep you informed.

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Wialon

Speed Manipulation

Ok, thank you for the update.