Feature request: new option for reports calculator

Тема: Feature request: new option for reports calculator

I think that the calculator function from the reports should get more options implemented or maybe a "programing language" for it, like different queries so that we can have more flexibility in customizing reports.

We have requests from customers for custom report templates/columns, which from my point of view, it is much better if this information stays in the reports module, rather then making a custom app.
For example, we want to use the Group Reports -> Fuel fillings (as we have imported fillings from the customer's petrol station and detected fuel fillings by CANBUS and fuel level sensors ) and add columns so that we can get the distance between fillings (basically last mileage minus initial mileage), the ammount consumed between the filings...etc/ All this information should be toghether.

I believe that the calculator upgrade could be a big thing for customizing the reports.

Re: Feature request: new option for reports calculator

Hello florin1,

Thank you for your request.

First of all, I would like to point out that we have received many requests to add new columns to the reports where mileage and consumption between fuel fllings will be calculated.

So far we decided not to add just any new columns because we already have a lot of them in our tables and sometimes it takes a lot of effort to find the right one smile

That's why, as you suggest, we decided to think about extending the possibilities of the Calculator. We were just in the middle of an active discussion about how to make it more flexible and functional.
As a result, we came up with an idea of using value from previous string via separate function in Calculator. That is, the user will decide for himself which values he wants to take into account when calculating the parameters required in each specific case. For example, if the mileage in our table corresponds to C5, you can enter a formula like C5-#C5 and get the difference between the mileage in the current interval and the previous interval (see screenshot).
We like this variant better, because the functions are universal - they can be used for calculation of any parameters. But so far there are doubts that such functionality will be actively used. So I would like you to clarify a few questions:
1. What do you think of this idea? Would such a function be useful for you?
3. if yes, for the calculation of which parameters (apart from mileage and consumption between refuellings)?

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Wialon

Hello mana, we could relate counters difference to fuel filled and get averages on fuel fillings registered, for example.

Fernando Brochetto
Technical Support, Rastreasul

fernando@rastreasul.com.br

mana пишет:

C5-#C5

Hello mana and thanks for the answer.
"But so far there are doubts that such functionality will be actively used." - i don't think so. For special requests coming from the customers, i think that this will help wialon integrators by simplyfing report customization.

1. What do you think of this idea? Would such a function be useful for you? - yes, for what we need it is ok, since we can get values from previous interval.
3. if yes, for the calculation of which parameters (apart from mileage and consumption between refuellings)? - filling events (both registered and detected by fuel level sensors), time, driver activity, for the moment this is all i can think of smile

So, regarding this specific implementation, "C5-#C5", any ideea when will it be available?

Fernando Brochetto, florin1,

Thank you, your feedback is very valuable and proves that we are moving in the right direction smile

I can't give you an exact implementation date yet, but as soon as we add it to the plans, I'll let you know right away.

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Wialon

Hello,
I haven't understood much the use case that is being discussed here but I think I have similar need here in Reports which I am not able to fulfil or provide to my client -

My requirement is in the Table Type - Group of Passenger
I am using the Passenger Module in a project for RFID based Vehicle Tracking. My client has a factory. A lot of vehicle enter his factory everyday bringing in the raw materials. Every vehicle of my client has a fixed or defined capacity for raw materials. Using RFID tags, we know all the vehicles which enters the factory on a given day. My client wants to know total volume of raw materials that were brought in on a particular day.

So in the "Assignments" table (attached sample report), I have a created a custom column "Vehicle Capacity" which gets the values from passenger custom field. All I need is the total value of this column. But even if all the values in the custom fields are numeric, still we would NOT be able to display the sum in the TOTAL line of the report (using the Total option in Table Settings) because the custom fields (either for passenger or unit) are always interpreted to be in text format.

As a workaround, I thought of using the calculator option in Reports, and then create another custom column in the table, say, "Total Volume". I wanted to apply some formula to populate the values in this new column as a cumulative sum from previous strings of column "Vehicle Capacity". But it seems we cannot do that as of today.

So it would be helpful if we can have these new features in the reports -

1. where the Total line of the report is able to display the sum of Custom fields (provided all values are numeric).
2. where we can add up values from previous strings of a certain column.

Dear vkjain,

It seems to me that your suggestion is not really relevant to the issue at hand, but I understand your problem and know what development would help to solve it.
As you correctly point out, at the moment all our custom fields for all elements in the system are in text format, which is sometimes a problem (as in your situation). Since we can't perform any operations with text values, we output the value from the first interval in the Total line. In addition, there is currently no option to select the type of operation to be performed on the Total line, so you will not be able to select an amount or an average in general in any of the reports. The Total line always works with the formula that was entered in a custom column. That is, for example, if you count the difference between the final mileage and the initial mileage in the rows, you will not see the sum of these differences in the Total line, there we will also calculate the mileage difference.
Your issue is comprehensively solved by asking for 2 developments:
1) adding the ability to select a data type for a custom field, which will allow you to fully work with the fields in the reports.
2) adding the ability to select the type of operation to calculate values in the Total line, i.e., allow the user to determine whether he wants to calculate the amount, the average value or etc. The issue has been discussed in more detail in other threads: 1 и 2

What do you think about it? If I misunderstood something, please give more details.

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Wialon

Hello Mana -- Thank you for your response.
Yes, I agree and you understood it right. If we can get the two abilities (features) that you mentioned, it will be so nice and useful and problem will be solved.

Can we expect this development to happen in the near future?

vkjain,

unfortunately, I do not have any deadlines for these improvements yet. But I will keep you updated on the changes.

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Wialon

hello again, any news about this update? Will it be implemented? We are getting a lot of questions for this type of calculation.
Thanks!

florin1, good day!

Unfortunately, the task was not included in the plans for the 3rd quarter. So we shouldn't expect implementation anytime soon.
But if there are any changes I will let you know right away.

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Wialon

Hello, because we have a lot of customers asking for this type of consumption, i am asking again if this integration woul be possible any soon. I don't believe that it is such a hard or time consuming coding situation.

Hello, florin1.

Unfortunately, the task was not included in the plans for the fourth quarter.
We understand the importance of implementing such functionality, so we will try to return to this issue at the end of the year.

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Wialon