Topic: Future functionality: unit type and pre-created vehicle types
We constantly work on improving Wialon and today I want to hear your feedback on the new functionality which may be implemented later this year. I will be grateful to hear "pros" and "cons" from you and how it could affect your daily job routine.
We want to implement a unified library of unit types and vehicle types to the Unit Settings.
1. In the unit's settings on the "General" tab the new field will appear "Unit type". It will contain options: Vehicle, Personal tracker, Stationary object.
If the option "Personal tracker" is selected - the sub options become available:
- Person or
While selecting "Stationary object" - the sub options below appear:
- Electrostation (generator)
- Fuel station
2. If the option "Vehicle" is chosen - then in the "Profile" tab of the unit's settings the field "Vehicle type" becomes dropdown with options instead of the input text field. The full list of available vehicles types consists of 4 main parts:
- Motorcycle / Motorbike
- Car / Passengers car
- Light commercial vehicle (van) / minivan
- Truck (Lorry, medium truck, regular truck)
- Heavy truck
- Dump truck (tipper)
- Pipe truck
- Truck head / Tractor unit / prime mover
- Trailers and semi-trailers / wagon / flatbed / with tent
- Tank (for liquids) / tanker trailer
- Fuel tanker
- Combine harvester
- Spreader (agriculture)
- Excavator (digger)
- Loader (Front, backhoe loader)
- Skid steer loader
- Material handling (manipulator)
- Mixer (Concrete mixer)
- Pump (Concrete pump)
- Aerial platform (aerial work platform (AWP) / elevating work platform (EWP) / scissor lift)
- Pile driver
- Road roller
- Grader / Motor graders
- Paving machine
- Street cleaning machine
- Snowcat (piste machine)
- Tow truck
- Refrigerator van/truck/trailer
- All-terrain vehicle (ATV) / utility vehicles (UTV)
- Amphibious vehicles
- Train (Railed vehicles)
- Water transport
- Recreational vehicle / Сamper
The main goals of that improvements:
1. to clean up the mess we have in the field "Vehicle type" now. At the moment the field is filled for more than 10% of all units in Wialon Hosting, which is pretty impressive. And since the field is misused by the users - we could not use the data stored there for our future improvements and analysis.
2. We want to simplify the interface the users are dealing with on a daily basis. With the unit and vehicle types we will be able to focus the users on the crucial functionality of Wialon.
3. We want to provide users with an ability to specify the details of the special vehicles they are using. For example, we got multiple requests on adding the field for the number of available passengers in the bus/minibus, carrying capacity of the trucks, trailers... In the future the ability of grouping the units in the Monitoring based on the vehicle types etc. In order to to all that we need the info on the types which are utilized now.
I will be very grateful if you could answer several questions listed below:
1. Do you think that the lists above are full? Do they include all types of vehicles you work with daily? Maybe some of the types are useless in your opinion?
2. Maybe some of the types are not clear to you?
3. Is the sorting of the types in the list is easy and clear?
4. With the changes described above - all values in the current "Vehicle type" field - will be migrated to the newly created field "Comments / additional information". The library you previously had for that field will be not saved. Is that crucial for you? Why? How we could make the migration process easier and better?
5. In the future, once the updates are delivered - we want that the chosen type of the vehicle affected the interface of the application. For example, once the unit type "Personal tracker" is chosen - the tab "Profile" of the unit settings is not needed at all... And for People transportation having a number of seats is really important as well... and so on. What do you think about dependencies like that? Do you other examples of type-based functionality of the Wialon?
6. How do you create units in the Wialon now? What do you think if the field "Unit type" becomes mandatory?
7. Is the ux of the process of choosing the types of the units and vehicle types is clear and easy? Please see the mock-ups of how it could look like attached.
I will be glad to hearing from you. All comments, recommendations, suggestions and wishes are very welcome. Thank you!
Wialon Business Analyst
"The important thing is not to stop questioning" (c)