Connection Loss new algorithm

Тема: Connection Loss new algorithm

Hi GT

Now Wialon has possibility to detect connection losses based on  maximum time between messages or no coordinates on messages. I want to suggest more smart algorithm for detecting that. I see some problems in current detection methods:

1. Most of times partners set devices not to send any messages while vehicle engine is off or while is not moving. In such a case we will receive wrong connection losses in Notifications and Reports

2. Sometimes messages without coordinates don't refer to connection lost, let me give you some examples:
A. Partners put GPS modules to sleep but not the device while vehicle engine is off. This method is used for monitoring Temperature of refrigerator all the time and also decrease the power consumption.
B. Consider that customer parks vehicles in -5 floor parking. Such parkings doesn't have GPS coverage for sure and even some times GSM coverage. So you will receive connection loss  based on both message time and coordinates while there is not a real connection loss.

What I offer is to add a possibility to:

1. Wialon first check connection losses based on current methods but in case of detecting connection loss shouldn't report it or send notification.
2. Then after receiving next valid coordinate, it should check the distance between previous point from previous valid GPS coordinates with recently received data and calculate distance.
3. Then check the traveled distance and in case of reaching a threshold (like 100 meters) then Report the connection loss or notify user.

With offered method and algorithm, if a parked vehicle in -10 floor doesn't send any messages or send messages without coordinate even for 10 day, after coming back to street the last valid location and current location won't be more than set threshold (as we expect these two positions near to parking door. So, we can receive only real connection losses.

I have thought about implementing this with current Wialon features (like Sensors, Notification, etc.) but couldn't find a way. You may have a solution for that right now, otherwise I guess thinking about a new future which cover this problem will help the community.

Re: Connection Loss new algorithm

Good day dear Hamed hhamedk ,

thank you for such a detailed request description.
It took me a while to think about your request, but now I am ready to give some comments.

Your proposal sounds difficult and, in my opinion, contradicts the essence of the notification of loss of connection. Let me explain my opinion.

>>>>>but in case of detecting connection loss shouldn't report it or send notification.

The main point is to instantly notify the user. As soon as we receive information that the signal is lost (no coordinates or no data), Wialon must immediately send a notification to the user. We must send an alarm so that the user responds to it and makes an operational decision.

Generally, for a server, a loss of connection is simply a loss of connection, and when there is no connection. And we can not find out the causes of the loss, and even more so to predict them.
Earlier, we received a request not to consider the loss of connection a situation when the device goes into sleep mode and does not send data. However, in reality this is the loss of connection. In this situation, the user himself must decide, for example, that the lack of data within 12 hours is the norm and set up a notification accordingly (in the daytime, control once per hour, at night - 1 time at 12 hours).

>>>>>Then after receiving next valid coordinate, it should check the distance between previous point from previous valid GPS coordinates with recently received data and calculate distance.

What to do in such a situation: the connection was lost because the car was stolen and the GPS signal was drowned. In this case, the following coordinates will not appear at all. It turns out that we did not notify the user of the loss of connection and allowed the theft of the vehicle.

--------

The main task of the user in this case is to configure software and devices in such a way as to cut off unnecessary responses, taking into account the message interval, time sending, as well as the situation itself (how quickly you need to react and whether you need to respond).

It’s possible that we lack a more flexible configuration in the notification of loss of communication, but here we need to analyze specific examples.
It would be great if you could provide real cases for further analysis.

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Wialon

Dear mana,

Thanks a lot for your patient in analyzing our requests.
If you are looking for a real case, one of examples in my previous post was a real case. We have a potential customer that is using our pilot phase and their cars are parked in floor parking without GPS coverage. During pilot phase they are receiving connection loss and asked us what I proposed in previous post.

mana, any update on this case?

Hello dear Hamed hhamedk,

as I wrote earlier, the option you suggested is very complex and calls into question the meaning of notification of a connection loss. So I can say that we will not change the logic of the loss/restore connection notification now.

However, it seems to me that there are several ways to solve your situation:

1. If there is no GPS coverage at the parking, you can try to use positioning by LBS. The LBS detection is an alternative method of finding units on the map. The accuracy of this method is inferior to determining the location using GPS, but if the unit experiences troubles with the GPS connection you can switch to the LBS detection method. To do this, it is necessary to check the Allow positioning by cellular base stations box on the Advanced tab of the unit properties dialog. Therefore, if the LBS detected data is more recent than the GPS data, it is used to determine the current location of the unit. This method involves the use of cellular base stations as reference points for the location detection. When this option is enabled, the LBS detection is used only if it is newer than the GPS data. Additionally for notifications, activate the Process LBS messages option in their settings.
This method will allow you to cover most of your cases.

2. First of all your parking should be marked as a geofence. Than you need to create new group for control units (for example, Connection loss control). After that, set up notifications in the following way:
when an unit leaves the geofence, it shall be included in the "Connection Loss Control" unit group. For this group, you need to set up a notification with the "Connection Loss" type. As long as it is outside geofence, we control its movements, connection loss and notify the user about it. When the unit returns to the parking, i.e. enters the geofence, it is excluded from the "Connection Loss Control" group and will not be controlled by the connection loss and, accordingly, the notifications will be triggered.

Please, try to test these options. I hope that my suggestions will help you solve the problem.

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Wialon

mana, option 2 is great, Thank you.