User access to units and tracks limited to time/date range

Тема: User access to units and tracks limited to time/date range

Hi Gurtam

One feature request that I would like to see progressed is the ability to have a users access to a unit and tracks or set of units restricted to a time and date range.

I’ll give you an example:

The same hardware device might be used for different clients (users) at different times and for different reasons.  To ensure privacy, it would be appropriate to manage the unit tracking history so there is no leakage of tracking data from one client to the next. For instance -

-One tracking device (TRACKER A) serving multiple clients at different times
-Client one has a requirement to access the tracking data from TRACKER A between 12:30hr on 1st March 2018 - 17:00hr on 30th March 2018, both live tracking and tracking history for that period alone.
-Client two requires the tracking data from TRACKER A from 20th March 2018 - 1st August 2018.
-Client three contacts us and requests access to TRACKER A data for the whole of the last year, however we dont want them to see the data before/after that period, as it contains data that relates to another clients business.  We seek to allow their access for that period alone.
-However, all clients may want to review their respective data after that period - eg. in September, however their access permissions only allow them to access the tracking data for the above periods
-We want the client to view the data using the Wialon platform and have access to all of its reporting functionality, therefore exporting the data is not appropriate option.

Can unit access/tracking data/messages/reporting be restricted to a period of time programmatically, in both real time and retrospectively (days/weeks/months after the tracking data was collected)?

If not, then can consideration be given to limiting data access to an admin-set time/date period?

This would be very handy for:

-Companies who lease hardware to a client, however only want them to access tracking data for the period of that lease
-Logistics or sensitive asset tracking, where hardware may be reused on different tasks or consignments, however you only want a client to review data that is relevant to their business
-Car hire company - share telematic data with a client (vehicle service issues, geofencing, driver messaging) who is using a vehicle for that time

What does the Gurtam community think of this proposal?

For you consideration, please.

P&Tx

Re: User access to units and tracks limited to time/date range

Gurtam? Members of the community?  I welcome your comment and discussion.

Hi place-n-trace!

Your cases are rather common and our partners solve them in many ways. I hope some will join us and give you advice.
I'll recommend you also solutions:
- Use Locator. Clients will have access to data only since the link is created and till it expires.
- Export messages for the previous client and then delete them. If the previous client wants to see the data he can use Backup Viewer.
- In some cases, the easiest way is to create a new unit and replace device ID. This way the old history will be stored in the old unit and new history in a new one.

Tatsiana Shmihelskaya
Business Analyst, Gurtam

Hi ,

Easiest way to use "Locator" , but most suitable for live-tracking.
Or Create a custom application using SDK.

Sint

(07/05/2018 17:13:25 отредактировано place-n-trace)

Thanks @ysv and @tata!

I appreciate your comments.  My first thought is 'If this use case is 'common', then perhaps we could look to developing a unified, simple way to address the challenge rather than people having to develop work-arounds to the issue?'

Unfortunately, Locator is not a viable option for a number of reasons.  1. User authentication and security, 2.  Locator link to WL server may be beyond a firewall and require a VPN? 3. Client will require report generation and access to more data as per the fuller wialon UX, 3. It doesn't appear as if I can send a link to someone with retrospective dates, meaning access to a unit starts from the current time or a future time? 4. Would require to limit access to tracking data for a given period, and allow user access for a set time, too. 

I have experience in creating additional 'units' for the same device and the device being associated by its UID, however, that new device would have to be created/changed at very specific times if I were to protect data leakage.

I'll give you an example.  A device is installed todays date at 0900, however I am unable to create the new 'unit' to swap from the 'old unit' until 1400 that afternoon, meaning that client wont get access to that device and its data for 5 hours prior to its creation at 1400.  Alternatively, if I want to restrict unit access from 1500, but can only change the UID in the unit at 2000 that evening, then they are still privy to 5 hours of data.

Whereas - had if we were able to give access to a unit for set periods - in real time or retrospectively - then it could be managed from CMS/user/user group/resource configuration.

Does my case make sense?  I need to manage sensitive client data, and I feel the best way to be able to do that is to set time/date limit parameters as a user right. 

I am sure that other Wialon users would see this is a requirement?

Happy for the discussion to continue, Tata.

P&Tx

Tha common case for many clients is to remove a device from one vehicle to another once in a long time period. ACL timetable would be too complex and redundant for them.
Your case is not clear enough, but it seems to be rather specific. the project you described is similar to some carsharing project. For such projects, Locator link is often can cover demands of end users. Please, review your administrative processes and needs. Maybe most of them can be covered by common tools.

Tatsiana Shmihelskaya
Business Analyst, Gurtam