Notification based on number of trackers within GeoFence

Тема: Notification based on number of trackers within GeoFence

Under the GeoFences tab on the Wialon platform, there is a label titled “units inside geofence”. We would like to be able to use this value to trigger a notification, specially a text message containing a specified code (entered in the same way as sending any other notification).

Example uses for this notification:
1) A police force have a mobile CCTV system situated in an area (which would have a geofence drawn around it). This system will include a GSM antenna capable of receiving SMS messages. They only want the CCTV system to be active (using up battery power) when there is something to record; namely, a tracked vehicle within the geofence.

So, if the number of “units in geofence” is ≥1, an SMS message should be sent to the phone number. This will wake up the recorder.

When the number of “units in geofence” returns to 0, another message should be sent to the phone number. This will turn the recorder off, as there’s nothing to record.

2) a company owns a fleet of vehicles at depots, and they’d like an email/SMS to inform them that the depot(s) are empty or with X number of units within them (telling them, perhaps, that all deliveries have been completed for a day).

3) if an area must always have a tracked unit within it (such as a security patrol car), and at some point the number of “units in geofence” reaches 0, that means that perhaps one team of guards is late, or something else has happened that has resulted in the area being un-manned. The commander could receive an email/SMS notifying them that the geofence is empty.

• Notification based on number of trackers within GeoFence

Re: Notification based on number of trackers within GeoFence

Hi luke.nyland!

Interesting idea, however, it seems that:
in the first case you are more interested in the interposition of the tracked units inside the geofence? If not, than it is something that can be solved by the existing means: selecting units and a geofence of your interest and triggering the notification when any of them is in the geofence.
in the second case: selecting all units and outside geofence as a trigger should solve the problem ("all drivers are gone").
in the third case: same situation — none of the units is in the geofence.

That being said, we do understand that having the requested feature might be easier in some situations to set up the notifications, hence, we will add it to the backlog for the further consideration. The feature would get a higher priority if there is a support form the community.

Pavel Bushuyeu
Product Owner, Mobile
Gurtam

(12/07/2017 12:02:47 отредактировано luke.nyland)

Thanks for the reply, Pavel!

I tried to describe it well enough that it didn't sound like I was just interested in the interposition of trackers within GeoFences, but clearly I didn't manage it that well!

I'm purely talking about notifications (or even OTHER functions) based on the running total of "units within GeoFence"

Running commands, sending emails/SMS, changing viewing rights, etc, etc, if the count value of "units within GeoFence" = X (or even <>X, +/-X)

Our existing customer base is primarily composed of police, military and government clients; and as we move into other sectors we're bringing this sort of intelligence-gathering mindset with us.

Simply having a notification for when a single unit enters/leaves a GeoFence doesn't mean much if a customer wants to know when the two vehicles meet in a certain area, for example? (the notification rule, then: If 'number of units within [GeoFence]' = ≥2, send email/SMS)

Example 1 I gave previously is an actual requirement that's been presented to us. WHICH tracker(s) enter the GeoFence is irrelevant, and operators won't be manually interacting with the Monitoring in response to unit activity, therefore the individual notification(s) wouldn't do the job. The ONLY messages that need to be sent are when the "units in GeoFence" = 0, or 1+. (even so, these won't be sent to a person, but used to send an automated SMS command to a device)

Thanks for your consideration. I feel this feature could be adapted to suit a number of different uses.

Simply having a notification for when a single unit enters/leaves a GeoFence doesn't mean much if a customer wants to know when the two vehicles meet in a certain area, for example?

Did you try  ''Interposition of units" notification? Seems, that it suites this situation well.

Tatsiana Shmihelskaya
Business Analyst, Gurtam

The interposition notification would say "these two Units have come within X feet of each other", which would technically show that the devices had "met" but doesn't perform the function I'm describing.

Sticking with a police example for now: a GeoFence is drawn around a certain area (maybe a particular building). Officers want to know when TWO tracked vehicles are in THIS zone at the same time, and ONLY when at the same time (not one after the other). They DON'T want to know when the two meet elsewhere.

In my proposed feature, the officers could draw a GeoFence (named MeetingPlace, for example); then set a notification when "units within MeetingPlace = ≥2"

This is just outlining varied possibilities for this feature. The initial reason we require the feature is to send an automated SMS command when the "units within GeoFence" = 0, and = ≥1 (for the reasons I explained in my first post)

(25/11/2017 12:24:23 отредактировано place-n-trace)

Hi Luke

Have you developed a solve to this issue?

Is there a likelihood that the vehicles will be at the said location independently?  Could your client not just record all activity based on event notification, then review the video product once they are able to correlate the tracking data retrospectively?

Alternate solution - asset trackers with RF/BT beacons installed.  Set up a beacon base station within range of the camera/target location, set up and configure RFIDs with and/or rules to trigger a record. 

A BT beacon will outlast a battery operated asset tracker for this use case, given that the asset tracker will have to be polling and reporting frequently for any notifications from Wialon to be effectual.  BT beacons are tiny, power frugal, easily secreted and deniable!

Alternatively, use SMS geofence notifications from the tracking device itself.  Have the devices send SMS to a cellular gateway, and use software to parse messages to create outbound SMS to camera on activation of an 'and/or' event from the 2 devices.

Or - they could hide someone inside a mailbox with a handycam!

... On a side note, have HTSI any devices integrated with Wialon?

place-n-trace пишет:

... On a side note, have HTSI any devices integrated with Wialon?

Clarify what devices do you mean, please

Tatsiana Shmihelskaya
Business Analyst, Gurtam