Custom Icons for Sensors

(03/12/2016 10:31:11 отредактировано hhamedk)

Тема: Custom Icons for Sensors

Hi everyone
We have an idea regarding Sensors and i try to explain what we need.
The idea is to add a functionality to Sensors that user can set different custom icons for different values (or different intervals) of sensor. This type of icons should be shown in Monitoring menu work-list, unit Track and in Map Output of Reports, so we except to add related option in Advanced properties of unit, Report Template properties and in Track menu (a feature like Speeding, Event or fuel filling icon). The sensor icon should be shown in case of receiving desired value from sensor (if there is 5 continues messages with same parameter value, then the set icon should be shown 5 times on map). User may have an option in sensor properties to set showing sensor icon only in case of change in sensor value (for example if there is paramx=1 in 3 continues messages and then paramx=2 in 2 next continues messages, then Wialon should shows sensor icons when value changes from 1 to 2).
I want to explain one difference between Senor Colors and Sensor Icon that we excepted. As you know it's possible to use only one sensor color in unit Track or Monitoring menu, but we except to show sensor icon from different sensors as a visualization on map or work-list. for example if we have 3 sensors with sensor icon set, then we except to see all these 3 sensors icons based on value of each sensor on unit Track on map (and the last known sensor icon in work-list).
When user hover/click sensor icon on map, a pop-up menu should display all available parameters and sensor values (like when we hover on a unit in map/work-list)

Everyone please indicate if such a function is interesting or not.

Custom Icons for Sensors

Re: Custom Icons for Sensors

hhamedk, this way you will have 3 icons for each point of the track. The map will be overcrowded... Am I right?

Katerina Alexandrova
Product Manager (Mobile)
Gurtam

Custom Icons for Sensors

(05/12/2016 23:22:00 отредактировано hhamedk)

alek, I'm not sure i got your point or not. Do you mean in case we have 3 sensors then we will have 3 icons for each message?
If yes, then yes you're right if we have theses parameters in all messages. but we considered that these parameters will come with some messages not all. I explained, don't think about this function like sensor color, it's different and will have different usage. With this function we want to check events that happened in unit track based on parameters we know them and created sensors based on them. something like event icons in Track menu but completely customized as user can set the event (based on sensors and their values) and icons.
The worst, if there is a sensor created from parameter that coming with all messages, then there is at least 2 options for user to prevent overcrowded map:
1. User can set icons only for his desired values/intervals on a sensor not for all values/intervals
2. User can choose which sensors should be shown on map, he can use 1 sensor or more, as he knows the logic of sensors he created and type of parameters

What you think?

Custom Icons for Sensors

hhamedk, I think finally there is only one possibility that will surely work — to set icons only for ONE sensor per one unit.
And even in this case, it's not so easy. Would you suggest that Gurtam created a special icon library for this purpose or its should be entirely custom?

Also I would like to ask you to specify your case and add more "live" details. I mean, we'd like to know what kind of information is there in such sensors and what is real-life task that your customer tries to solve.

Thank you.

Katerina Alexandrova
Product Manager (Mobile)
Gurtam

Custom Icons for Sensors

(08/12/2016 16:11:50 отредактировано hhamedk)

alek, Again, the idea behind this is to check events, let's call it sensor based events, just like Stop, Registered Events, Fuel theft and...
It excepted to be completely customized on icon case.
Let me explain, the customer use mobile phone application (android) and this application will send different parameters with different values based on activity of user. Values of parameters, availability of parameters and combination of them have different meaning for customer. They need to see events on track with special icon for each event (for better understanding i remember you Custom Statuses in WiaTag. if you want to combine them with themselves or other parameters to define different meanings using mathematical and logical calculations)
If we want to speak about vehicles, i can give you some examples as well. just think that we have a truck and it's important for us to check when the cargo of truck is opened/closed. we just need to create a sensor to detect changes in door status from open to close or from close to open (you know better than me how we can create such sensor), this way if the truck travels around we can have it's track and icons on it when the cargo door is opened or closed. Just think that we want to have icons in same way for ACC sensor, Temperature sensor (when temperature rate changes from increasing to decreasing or opposite), Weight sensor (when status changes from loading to unloading) and for drivers when driver of truck is changed. I believe that it's very interesting to have all these events icons on Map when checking unit track in a quick view on map.
If you think you will find out that what i explained is only a simple usage for sensor icons, there will be more complex cases that will solve with this function and as you can imagine there won't be overcrowded icons on unit track (while i strongly believe that you shouldn't be worry about overcrowded icons on map, as just right now, if you have 100 units in a city and if you add them all in monitoring, in small zooms you will have overcrowded icons of units and all Wialon users experienced it but no one says that it's a big problem as user is who decide to what he want to see).
You can see that the idea is interesting in both Mobile Software and AVL Hardware cases.

PS:
Regarding overcrowded icons problem in monitoring menu i posted a topic, Please check it as well:
https://forum.gurtam.com/viewtopic.php?id=10563

Custom Icons for Sensors

hhamedk, thanks for explaining all this. I really appreciate it ))

However, "overcrowded" map is not the only concern of ours when considering this case. Another thing is to allow entering "strange icons" in Wialon. What I mean is that people will not be bothered with how their icons will fit, if they are of good quality or not, do they have the proper size, shape, color, etc... You see?

So, if we're looking at this case, first of all we try to imagine what icon library we are requred to provide to our customer (yes, first of all we're interested in providing our own icons). So, do you have ideas what should those icons be about, what should they depict and how many of them are needed for your basic purposes?

Katerina Alexandrova
Product Manager (Mobile)
Gurtam

Custom Icons for Sensors

(09/12/2016 00:28:07 отредактировано hhamedk)

alek, Thanks for your early response.

We are talking about icons for sensor based events, so if we want to have an icon library it should be a sort of icons can cover most cases. I'm thinking about some numeric icons in different colors, another idea would be to add a sort of simple icons in different colors. this way we can set each icon for a sensor but with different colors for different values. it may works, I'm not sure. It's really hard work to define a universal icon library for events that we don't have any information about them. we can't guess what is in each user mind! I'll think about and will inform you if my mind blink.
I still believe that you can offer user an option to add custom icons like icons for Units, Unit Groups and... and the worst you can define a standard for icons (size, format, aspect ratio and...).
Please don't forget that 2 important parts of idea:
1. the hover/click tool-tip on icon that should show all available values (or last known values) of parameters and sensors in that point.
2. the sensor icons excepted to use in Monitoring, Tracks and map output of Reports.

Custom Icons for Sensors

hhamedk, thank you for all the details you have given. They really help to understand the task at hand better.
However, we need some time to process all this and come up with some solution. So, I'll come back here later to let you know about the results.

Katerina Alexandrova
Product Manager (Mobile)
Gurtam

Custom Icons for Sensors

Up...

Custom Icons for Sensors

(06/01/2017 14:05:55 отредактировано hhamedk)

Hi There

Any news regarding this case?
Using this function we can Send any parameter from a smartphone to Wialon and show it on map. This is very important for distribution companies.
Other partners please think about applications of this function and share you ideas.

Custom Icons for Sensors

Dear Hamed,

We haven't desided upon your request yet. Anyway, even if the answer is "yes", this will take some time to implement (several months at least).

For now, I would suggest that you creatively use combinations of existing functionality to solve this issue. For example:
• to make unit's icon on the map look different according to sensor value, use notifications and unit groups (when certain value is received from a sensor, notification triggers and unit is put into a specific group, and now its icon on the map is defined by that group; it's for real time only, not for history)
• to be able to see more sensors in the Monitoring panel, use "extended info" option and sensor color (extended info is like unit's tooltip but it's fixed, you don't need to hover all the time; and sensor color can be used in the extended info — for each of the sensors, not only for one single sensor like in the columns of the Monitoring panel)
• to make tracks more informative, again set sensor colors (if you need your track to obtain color according to a variety of sensors, use validators for this)

If you are going to try some of these things and need more information or help to make all needed configuration, please contact our technical support team at support@gurtam.com

Katerina Alexandrova
Product Manager (Mobile)
Gurtam

Custom Icons for Sensors

Alek, We discussed about the idea and it seems that the function ca be done in another way with adding two simple options to system. I try to explain it.
1. There is an option as a notification trigger to detect a sensor or a parameter in a message and register an event on system for unit. We should add a possibility of defining a name and a custom icon for each event and then we can show these events on tracks or on map output of reports.
2. Another required option is to show all sensor's values when user hover on event icon, not just to sho duration or time of registration of event. Now, in tracks when we hover on Parking icon for example we can see duration of it only but if we hover on any point on track we can see all sensors values as well. I think such a function is useful for parking, stops, fuel fillings or any other events.

Custom Icons for Sensors

1. This idea might be interesting, and we'll store it for future.

2. Event is registered through notification, isn't it? So, choose %ALL_SENSORS% parameter for the notification text, and you'll have all sensor values in the tooltip.

Katerina Alexandrova
Product Manager (Mobile)
Gurtam

Custom Icons for Sensors

Up...

Custom Icons for Sensors

alek wrote:

1. This idea might be interesting, and we'll store it for future.

Any update regarding this case?

Custom Icons for Sensors

alek, may you update us if you finally decide to add this feature or not?

Custom Icons for Sensors

This theme is not supported by other members on the forum, as we see. Also, we never heard about it from other partners. Taking into account the difficulties of integration such function, we are not ready to approve the idea of sensors icons now.

Tatsiana Shmihelskaya
Business Analyst, Gurtam

Custom Icons for Sensors

Hi, hhamedk

Some good news - I think it's time we returned to the discussion of your request smile

Recently we made some analysis of your request as well the request that is to some extent similar to what you described -  https://forum.gurtam.com/viewtopic.php?id=12218.

As a result, we find it reasonable to give Wialon users the following abilities: (these are just the ideas, nothing is approved yet)

1) Statically display the battery level of a device (probably in a separate column) as an icon in the monitoring panel so that these data are always visible. This request is supported by some of our partners and is often asked about.

2) Display up to 3 sensor values as icons in the monitoring panel so that users are able to control particularly important sensors for their businesses for all their units in real time (panic, seat belt). The data will change depending on the values received in messages for these sensors.

Do you think that such solutions can solve your problems? What is your opinion regarding battery level display?

As for controlling sensor values of units on the track with every coming message, I believe this is not the best approach as opposed to doing the same in the monitoring panel. The reason that on the map it will be complicated to stay informed about all latest messages of each unit in form of icons, not mentioning its overcrowding in this case.

Will be glad to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Maria Starikova,
Wialon Hosting Product manager, Gurtam

Custom Icons for Sensors

mars, thank you first.

1) Statically display the battery level of a device (probably in a separate column) as an icon in the monitoring panel so that these data are always visible. This request is supported by some of our partners and is often asked about.

It seems good idea.

2) Display up to 3 sensor values as icons in the monitoring panel so that users are able to control particularly important sensors for their businesses for all their units in real time (panic, seat belt). The data will change depending on the values received in messages for these sensors.

Do you think that such solutions can solve your problems? What is your opinion regarding battery level display?

As for controlling sensor values of units on the track with every coming message, I believe this is not the best approach as opposed to doing the same in the monitoring panel. The reason that on the map it will be complicated to stay informed about all latest messages of each unit in form of icons, not mentioning its overcrowding in this case.

What you explained is good. What we proposed is not to show all sensor values in unit track. After discussions with GT we reached to this point that we can have a trigger for some sensors to display them on track if specific condition occurred. The idea was about points (messages) on which sensor state changed (and accordingly sensor icon should change). In this case there is no overcrowded map. As, right now we have some icons on map (fuel filling, fuel theft, parking etc) that we can activate them or deactivate them.
Another way I'm thinking about for implementing this idea is to put icons in messages tool-tip while user hover on messages over tracks.

Custom Icons for Sensors

hhamedk пишет:

have a trigger for some sensors to display them on track if specific condition occurred.

Do you have an idea of how many of such sensors (icons to be displayed when the state of the sensor changes) you would want to set up?

Thanks for the reply!

Maria Starikova,

Custom Icons for Sensors

3 sensors seems enough (we can set these 3 from Unit properties) and each sensor should have different icons for different values (like colors).

Custom Icons for Sensors

We decided to start off implementation of sensor icons funtionality with displaying the icon of the battery level as this was the most frequent request from our partners.

It will be available in the future updates.

Maria Starikova,