Dump/Tipper Truck Operations Monitoring

Тема: Dump/Tipper Truck Operations Monitoring

Hello all

I  wanted to know if any of you have experience with installation of equipment and wiring to monitor the operations of dump/tipper trucks? The idea is that whenever the cargo bay is being tipped, a message/alert is sent by the tracking unit so that the guys monitoring the operations on the platform know where this operation is taking place and when.

As I have never been up close with one of those trucks, from could a signal be taken? Is there a PTO that is used for tipping loads? Or is it a separate power system?

Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards

Re: Dump/Tipper Truck Operations Monitoring

Hi Roberto,

the main problem will be to find the correct wires.
Every truck has different, also every manufactor use different schemes depending of the age of the unit.
(i am sure you know that).
So there is no standard to do.
I would start in analysing how driver starts the process. If its an electrical switch --> take voltage from there
if its canbus --> you have a problem and need to check more mechanical, for example hydraulic pump, if its electric --> again voltage
if mechanical --> maybe you can use RPM of engine for it. (no speed but RPM goes up --> process startet"
and so on and so on.

I would just ask the maintanance people how to get a voltage if process is startet

Wolf.

Politeness dictates it to write his name on a post

Hello Wolf

Sorry for such late response. Probably missed the email alerting me to your response.

Thank you for the ideas you put in there. Good starting points. As this is not a current request but prep work in case such a request comes through, it's gonna be a bit difficult to tinker around on an actual vehicle. However this should help us be on the right track if a request ever comes through.

Best

We have customers in earth moving that require this function. The PTO is the best connection point.
Some are positive (+) Volts an some are (-) earth.
You should connect the input wires to the PTO's wire relative to (-) or (+) inputs you have on your devise.
You may need to configure the devise pins to change them from Outputs to Inputs in some cases. But the latest GPS devises
do have - & + by default..

once you done this - add your inputs as sensors so your data can be identified by report no or Sensor type

Hope this helps

smile happy to introduce my self . We are Based in Sydney Australia and have been operating for over 6 years.
Be happy to share our experiences.

Hello eyeinthesky

Thank you for your input on the subject. Indeed, if a PTO is used, then it doesn't seem to hard to configure.

Best