WiaTag questions / enhancements

Тема: WiaTag questions / enhancements

Hi dear Gurtam-Team,

we are testing with a customer the WiaTag and i found following problems / wishes...

1.) if i set it to send every 5 minutes (get location and send location), i want it to stop using the gps receiver after it located the location.
i disabled all kind of filtration but the gps location symbol in IOS shows me that WiaTag is aquiring the location all the time, even if i set it to "check by timeout". What i am doing wrong?

2.) As it is possible to "kill" the App via Taskmanager, it would be mandantory to get a "message" with a special parameter or so, if the app is startet again... something like "app was startet".

3.) Most people will use it for working timecard scenarios... (how many hours someone worked).
One customer said: "Well, i want to know, when the people enabled tracking and when they stoped it.". So there should be also a message with a parameter like "enable" or so.

4.) i saw somewhere in the russian language forum a wish to create a "2d Barcode" with configuration... That would be realy cool... we can create a configuration and store it as a 2D Barcode. Than we can send it to the customer and he just scan it with the camera in the WiaTag :-)
That would be cool!

:-))
Any comments?

Thanks
Wolf...

Politeness dictates it to write his name on a post

(27/05/2016 18:13:15 отредактировано dmev)

Re: WiaTag questions / enhancements

Good day.
Our answers on your questions:

1) WiaTag on iOS using location service always. Because of operating system restrictions, we can't disable it in background mode (application well be killed by system). Location service can switched programmatically by collect positional data with GPS reciever (A-mode: high battery consumption mode, high accuracy) or with Cellular broadband networks (B-mode: low battery consumption mode, but low accuracy). Option for collecting data by timeout work as follow: we enabling GPS only for getting first message with A-mode, and then we shutdown GPS, and move location service in B-mode, and waiting again for timer. Example: 20 sec in A-mode -> 4 min 40 sec in B-mode and etc. This is some kind of trick, do not pay attention for symbol of location service in status bar.

2) This is cannot be done, because of iOS restrictions. When you kill the app in task manager, after that iOS don't know anything about app (all application processes and services stopped immediately), until user start application again via springboard tap.

3) This is possible but needs refinement. But in case when internet connection not available, these messages will not be sent (status is sent to the server immediately).

4) This is possible, for some count of settings, but not all, because of barcode data limit. But in next releases we will add to iOS version of WiaTag remote control feature, that will allow upload configuration file from Wialon web hosting to WiaTag device remotely.

Dmitry
Developer at Gurtam.

Hi Dmitry,

thanks for quick reply.

1.) sounds good and makes sense

2.) i think you can use following function:
if this function is enabled in settings do the following: on start of app check if a special variable is set (like startup). if its not set, send message to server with parameter "startup=1" or so... set variable (startup) to 1. On crash of app, the variable will be again zero and you need to send again.
if app is just in background (and not killes by someone) the variable is always 1 and you dont need to resend it.
So we do not see if user kills the app in real time but later (after restart of app) we see that it was restartet

3.) that would be perfect... so what do you need for refinenement?

4.) i think that would be already enough if Wialon will store the config file until unit is going online.
the practical problem here: customer requests units, we create them, set configuration and forget it. if user than starts the app the first time, everything must go automaticaly, you can not ask your customer to setup a lot of points, call us to send him a new config file while he is online etc.
--> configure once and forget.

Thanks a lot
Wolf.

Dmitry,

after talking with other partners in minsk, there would be realy the need of some kind of easy configuration of the WiaTag.

the "easiest" way would be:
- let Admin create on a "app in wialon" create a new Wiatag object with predefined configuration and create a pdf file with a 2d barcode or so (qr-code)
- send pdf to customer, he prints it out and scan it with the WiaTag app (or he scan it from screen or so)

that would be cool!

It should be configurable to set custom switches and kind of tracking / times of tracking and the device id / password.

what do you think?

Wolf.

Good day.
Yes we take into account your request, and now we planning add possibility of work with QR-codes (on iOS, android), NFC (android) labels in WiaTag. This is should be done approximately in Q3.

Dmitry,

i am intensively playing around with WiaTag and still have following problem:

- i set the device to send every 3 Minutes, i disabled all other kind of superclever dupidupi algorithm.

What device does is: If i am in the night sleeping it sends every hour,
If i drive it sends up to 10 messages per minute.

So its absolutely not that what i expect if i set it to "send every 3 minutes"

the second problem (or active request of a customer) is, that with this behaviour i can not use number of messages as a detection if units is active or if process is disabled.

so we need something (as already written in a support request) that actively send a status message if software was startet AND if the switch "active" or "non actice" was switched.
otherwise (and i think our customer is right in that) its impossible to check if employer is always switching it off!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Wolf.

wwbusch aka Buwo , thanks these spammers old posts comes up. Seems it's time to have 2 different levels for forum users.
Other partners please share their ideas.