Wi-Fi-positioning

Topic: Wi-Fi-positioning

Hello dear partners!

We periodically receive a request for the implementation of Wi-Fi positioning functionality, which allows to get the location of units not only using GPS or LBS but also through Wi-Fi points. Using GPS is not always possible indoors due to high signal attenuation by walls and ceilings of buildings, LBS is generally less accurate and depends on many extraneous factors. In this regard, the use of location based on wi-fi points for indoor and personal monitoring is becoming relevant.

There is equipment on the market that provides geolocation through a Wi-Fi access point using built-in Wi-Fi technology that analyses its environment and incorporates the detected MAC addresses into the device's syntax structure in its protocol. Some of these types are integrated into Wialon and can be used to determine location similar to the existing LBS feature.

We plan to make a development that will allow getting location by mac addresses of nearby wi-fi points. We assume that the implementation will be similar to LBS, i.e. for some units of suitable type it will be possible to enable wi-fi positioning.

Therefore, I would like to ask you a few questions that would make this functionality useful and suitable for solving your problems and tasks:
1. How relevant is this functionality to you?
2. For which of your tasks would this enhancement be useful?
3. What features would you like to see added as part of the implementation of the task?

You can also write any suggestions and ideas for wi-fi positioning. We will certainly consider them!

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Gurtam

Wi-Fi-positioning

(edited by Fernando Brochetto 10/12/2020 21:52:56)

Re: Wi-Fi-positioning

Hello mana,

I think that the idea of indoor location is very promising and I would be very happy to see inside Wialon.
We already had some demands for using mesh connection and we intend to start testing this technology next year. I know that ELA and Minew have some devices for solutions like this:

https://elainnovation.com/wirepas-mesh.html
https://www.minew.com/bluetooth-beacons

--

1. We only have some demands for now, but it is increasing because I had never received it in other years.

2. Our idea was to help clients locating and counting people in companyes and tunnels, assets (like machines in hospitals, for example), automatic inventory and actually work with other IoT sollutions too, like smart buildings.

3. I don't have much knowledge on the subject yet, but if I had such a solution I would like to be able to include inside Wialon the floor plan of the place I want to monitor (3D would be really cool), to be able to divide it into several rooms and generate reports similar to geofences.

Fernando Brochetto
Technical Support, Rastreasul

fernando@rastreasul.com.br

Wi-Fi-positioning

Hello mana,

We would also be very interested in this solution as we do have a few clients seeking this kind of tracking.

1. We do have clients who have asked us about indoor tracking and want to track their cleaning machines in shopping centers and ports.

2. Mostly for tracking electric machinery inside shopping centres or port buildings, this selection can be expanded in the future.

3. A possibility to add a custom layer on top of a geofence or something similar so you could see more details about a shopping center.

Wi-Fi-positioning

Hello CarCops Autovalve,

thank you for your response. In the first quarter, we will only implement the option of determining the location by Wi-Fi points. We are not planning to implement floor plans, building plans, etc. in the near future, as this was not a requirement in the original request and we have not deeply analysed the possibilities of such functionality.

But I would like you to clarify a few things on this point:
1. Are you aware of monitoring systems that allow tracking objects indoors using data from WiFi hotspots?
2. Do you have any information about services/products that allow to form a layer with room description (building plans, premises)?

I would be grateful for answers!

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Gurtam

Wi-Fi-positioning

(edited by hhamedk 18/01/2021 17:05:13)

mana, indoor positioning is really interesting idea and we are receiving requests for RTLS systems time to time.
But I don't know how you want to implement it, because as I know such systems are totally different from what you are doing now.
As CarCops Autovalve mentioned such systems need some layers on top of map to locate the moving object accurately and this is a must.
BTW, if what you want to do can be reach the accuracy of LBS, that won't be useful for our market, otherwise if you will reach to accuracy of Google like services (which can determine laptops' exact location without GPS) then I will be surprised and can see huge demand in market for that.

Wi-Fi-positioning

hhamedk,
the implementation will be similar to LBS, accuracy will not be the same as with LBS. We will receive coordinates from Google - they claim an accuracy of 10-20 m.

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Gurtam

Wi-Fi-positioning

Hello mana, I've never worked with those devices, but when working with them, isn't there a way of creating your own referencials for having a more precise location system? If the accuracy is around 10-20 I don't think we'll have demmands.

Fernando Brochetto
Technical Support, Rastreasul

fernando@rastreasul.com.br