Dear Pablo, locationGPS
thanks for the request.
First of all, I would like to sum the information provided by you in the post above and while communicating with my colleagues from technical support:
there is a client of yours whose drivers utilize tacho driver cards. Each tacho driver card has a code that consists of 16 digits. First 14 digits are unique to each driver. So basically a client has a pile of cards for each driver and each card in this pile has the same first 14 digits in its code. In the same time, the last 2 digits change from card to a card and turn to be indexes of renewal and replacements of a card.
The problem lies in the following: drivers often lose their cards or they have to replace them due to their expiry (which I believe do not happen often as I these cards are issued for at least a year or two depending on the region). As they are given new cards, the client needs to enter Wialon and enter the new code. As a result, it turns out to be burdensome as there is a lot of manual work that needs to be done very often. Whereas generally not the whole code needs to be updated, but only the last two digits.
You are asking to automate this process and allow entering * before the code so that when the system receives a 16 digits code that is different from the code entered in the system (the last two digits are different, but first 14, in theory, should stay the same), the system recognizes the driver and makes automatic assignment.
As long as such a request is the first of a kind, I would like to ask the following questions to make the picture a bit more transparent:
1) how many drivers does a client employ at the moment? does this number grow?
2) how often do drivers lose their cards? (I still struggle to believe that it is an often case as to me such a card is something that drivers should treat very carefully and if they often lose it, then feasibly the problem is in the business processes that the company has)
3) can we be sure that when the driver is given a new card the first 14 digits of this new card will be the same as in the previous card? Otherwise, with an enhancement, there may appear cases when two drivers will have cards the same codes.
4) who does issue the new card to a driver?
5) who currently informs the person that is in charge of changing the driver code in Wialon that the driver was provided with a new card?
As a solution, I can suggest you storing these codes grouped by a driver on your side and creating a script which, when receiving code with different 2 last digits than the previous code of the driver, will recognize this and automatically change it in Wialon.
Anyway, I am noting your request down. Let's see maybe there will be partners that have also experienced such a problem and would be interesting to solve it.
Wialon Hosting Product manager, Gurtam