Nautical miles in Wialon

Тема: Nautical miles in Wialon

Hello,
I have customers that use tracking for boats. They will like to see speed and distance in nautical miles, not km/h. I understand that custom sensor can be added to calculate speed in nautical miles based on kilometres. It works, but it needs to be done for every boat, and still in Wialon trips and speed is shown in km and km/h. So, maybe you might consider implementing a new feature in Wialon system. On unit "Advanced" tab there might be a feature called "unit measurement system" with dropdown menu and items "kilometres per hour", "nautical miles per hour", and "miles per hour". If there is an easy way to do this, I would like to know..

Best regards,
Robert

Nautical miles in Wialon

Re: Nautical miles in Wialon

Hello, ridlbek

We have a similar request on the forum. Also, I had some discussions on this theme. For maritime tracking people require an appropriate measurement system and maps as common.
What about maps, then we contacted Navionics, that was mentioned a couple of times as the best in the sphere, and got information, that they are not allowed to be used in a commercial program.
Adding a new measurement system is hard work. We are not ready to say that Wialon is a very good program for maritime tracking and if we add knots it will still be the same.
I think that this direction requires a more complex solution to cover most needs.

Tatsiana Shmihelskaya
Business Analyst, Gurtam

Nautical miles in Wialon

Dear Minsk. I have a similar request from clients that provide maritime services. At least we should be able to create our custom values. To convert from km/hrs to knots we only need to multiply the km/hrs value by 1.852. It is possible to create that custom value?

Nautical miles in Wialon

Hello,
We have clients that have CAN BUS data, including speed. I've seen other partners with the same problem and I think this idea could help marcelok17 too:

Solution:
Create speed sensor.
When you create speed sensor, you could set it as the provider of speed to the unit, maybe with a checkbox.
With this, we could use the speed from CAN, instead of GPS and could also use constants to convert the values in the unit needed: km/h, mph, nautical miles...

Topic:
https://forum.gurtam.com/viewtopic.php?id=14546#p163484
A problem we face a lot with gps speed is that when vehicles are with low GPS signal, they send innacurate speed data.

Fernando Brochetto
Technical Support, Rastreasul

fernando@rastreasul.com.br

Nautical miles in Wialon

Dear marcelok17,

The thing is that measurement system can be set separately for a resource, unit, user and route, so what you ask for does seem to be an easy implementation.

Besides, even with such an implementation Wialon will still not be 100% suitable for maritime tracking and there is more features that are required, so we better not dedicate our efforts to something that will cover only half of the needs.

Maria Starikova,
Wialon Hosting Product manager, Gurtam

Nautical miles in Wialon

Mars,
what you are saying is that Wialon is mainly targeted for vehicle tracking, and nothing else.
I am not happy to see that this powerfull system is only aimed at vehicles because there is a very broad spectrum of customers beside vehicles.
But if you suggest that Wialon will not develop in that way - this information is important for me since I am aiming towards many maritime users.
Regards, Robert