Topic: Testing: "Passengers" module (School Buses)
In addition to personal tracking tools, driver behavior monitoring and speed limit violation control, dealing mostly with humans, rather than vehicles, we are developing “Passengers” module, allowing for passenger count based on RFID-technologies.
Initially while creating a new module we focused on scheduled passenger transportation in hot countries, such as the UAE, facing the issue of child mortalities during school bus transportation - once a pupil falls asleep and left alone in a bus at temperatures above 50 °C, the results may be fatal. But the extended functionality of Wialon system the scope of its application is much broader.
With the new functionality in Wialon system a driver is always sure that all the children have successfully left the bus remaining parked in the blazing heat, while parents know that their child will definitely get to school.
How it works?
- A bus is equipped with a GPS tracker and registered as a unit in Wialon system;
- Every passenger has an RFID-tag which is applied to a reader notifying the system that a passenger enters or leaves a bus.
- Associated persons get notifications, reports on movements and can look through or edit historical data.
- New “Passengers” tab in the monitoring panel;
- Two types of notifications added;
“Passenger activity” notification is intended for parents and created separately for each passenger to signify entering or leaving the bus. Thus parents are automatically informed that the child has got to school.
“Passenger alert” notification is intended for school employees/drivers and triggers whenever a passenger is left in a bus. After the notification is received a teacher can contact a pupil or a driver to check the bus again.
- Reports on passengers with the option to display geofence name as an address;
- New passenger boarding sensor;
- Options to specify name, add photo and fill in custom fields (school, form, phone, etc.) for each passenger;
- New “Passengers” service in CMS Manager;
- New access rights to work with passengers;
- Core information on each passenger, including the last event (pick-up/drop-off location; “unknown”), available in tooltip.
- Attendance report for schoolchildren/employees;
- Children pick-up and drop-off notifications for parents/teachers (indicating location);
- Reports on passenger movements for any period of time;
- Immediate alerts if a passenger stays in a bus for more than “X” minutes;
- Reports on passenger flow (loading of a particular bus and passenger flow density) to optimize the number of vehicles on the route;
- Passenger count for tourist traffic;
- Labour hours (e.g. interval between a drop-off and a pick-up) calculation for specialists operating in remote facilities;
- Quick identification of a particular unit/driver if a problem occurs.
The new module is already available in Wialon Beta and now that you know it, we are looking forward to your questions and suggestions!